A Step account is an FDIC insured and protected bank account. Because of this, the government requires every bank to verify a customer's identity before opening an account.
If you received a notice that we weren't able to verify your account, it might be due to one of the following reasons:
- Verification documents we received do not match your identity. Check to make sure your Step account has your correct legal name and date of birth.
- We only request documents from users that are over 18 years old. If you're opening an account at the request of your teen, we need documents to verify YOUR identity, not the teen's.
- Verification documents we received are of poor image quality or they aren't original documents. Screenshots of images or other screenshots can not be accepted.
- We require valid (not expired) United States government issued identification
- We don't accept PO Boxes as proof of residential address. To open a Step account we'll need to have your residential address/location. This is only for verification purposes but won't be used for sending/shipping any of your Step account/card information unless it is listed as your shipping address.
Unfortunately, if we're not able to verify your identity, you won't be able to create your account for security reasons.